If there is one hurdle most partners dread crossing in a marriage or relationship, it must be the suspicion, or even worse, the discovery, that your partner is unfaithful. If you suspect your partner is cheating on you, you owe it to yourself and the relationship to find out, and confirm it as a fact. You will need to investigate the infidelity and if necessary, come up with proof before deciding your next move.
TIP: Read the guide to prevent a break up or get back with your ex.
Often, we prefer to close our eyes to what makes us uncomfortable, a situation of 'ignorance is bliss'. But this approach rarely pays off in the long run. We need to confront whatever it is that is causing the problem, in this case, infidelity. It won't go away - if anything, it will only prolong the inevitable. It calls for probing the situation and arriving at the root cause of the infidelity.
Some signs that may arouse your suspicion and could alert you as to whether your spouse is being unfaithful, include:
• Your spouse fails to display the consideration he/she used to extend to you. You sense a change in behavior for the worse. Sex and intimacy may also become an issue and you sense him/her withdrawing, both physically and emotionally.
• He/she works late and often has no justification for it. They are always making excuses to avoid spending time with you, or have something more important to do. They may also get irritable or defensive if you ask too many questions. In fact they find it difficult to share anything significant about their day. Yet, at the same time, they always want to know your plans (so that they can work around it).
• They become more conscious of their appearance and pay greater attention to their grooming than previously.
• He/she rushes to answer the cell phone and immediately moves to another room for privacy. Is evasive when quizzed for details. Often, when you answer the phone, the caller disconnects.
• There are unusually high credit card bills, or large, unexplained withdrawals recorded on bank statements.
• Emergency overnight business trips become more frequent.
Don't ignore these warning signs, act on them. If you can trust your instincts and you think your spouse may deny cheating on you, then investigate the infidelity and garner evidence.
If you have the resources, there are many avenues available at your disposal. You could hire a private investigator.